Sunday, August 15, 2010

Weekend Getaway into the U.P.

IMG_1862

So, if you work all week from your RV at a city campground, where does one go for the weekend to get away?   A small, remote campground in the National Forest.

After doing a bit of internet searching, I picked one spot in Ottawa National Forest in the Michigan Upper Peninsula that looked like it might be quiet and offer some peaceful paddling opportunities.

Millie and I arrived at Imp Lake and lucked into an idyllic site right on the shore (one of my most-favorite campsites ever).

We just barely had enough time to park and eat dinner when the monsoon arrived!  Thank goodness, the pine trees sheltered us from the high winds .

The next morning started out foggy, but the sun soon began to burn it off--

IMG_1873-Edit

I pumped up the SeaEagle, and went out for a morning paddle around the lake.

IMG_1882

Ah tranquility! I had the lake completely to myself (except for a couple of resident loons who were busy doing their morning fishing).  Not one other man-made sound except for that of my paddle.

IMG_1883

In the afternoon, Millie and I went for a hike into the forest and discovered an abundance of vividly colored moss and mushrooms:

IMG_1899 IMG_1887 IMG_1897 IMG_1902 IMG_1907 IMG_1913

After getting Millie her required daily swim, I took the boat out one more time for a sunset paddle:

IMG_1938

Soon after sunset, the moon began to set right behind the pine trees and the loons began their wonderful echoing calls across the lake!

IMG_1962

To cap off this wonderful weekend, Millie and I enjoyed our little LP campfire for a few minutes before calling it a night.

IMG_1964

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Views!

Lynne's Camera Bag

Best RVing Stuff Under $50

Join Us On Facebook