Thursday, September 22, 2011

Assateague Adieu

IMG_7940-Edit

On our last day at Assateague Island, the sun finally peaked out a bit briefly just after sunrise as Millie and I took our morning walk along the beach overlooking the Atlantic.

IMG_7928-EditIMG_7932-Edit
IMG_7951-Edit

Millie enjoyed romping around and dipping her toes in the surf--
IMG_7942-EditIMG_7963-EditIMG_7965-Edit

We returned to the RV for breakfast and to work the rest of the day.  Ah, work is so much easier when doing it from the beach in my favorite lounge chair!
IMG_7979

I kept my eye on the weather throughout the day and by late afternoon, a flash flood advisory had been issued for the island, all of Delmarva, as well as the Baltimore-DC area.  A very large group of storms to the south were planning to dump up to 3-4 inches of rain on the area overnight.  Since I was camping without hookups anyway, I decided I had better not stay the night and had better leave before dinner to make my way inland before the storms arrived.

I got the rig packed up, toad hitched up, and we made a brief stop at the dump station.  The ponies had not been through the campground all day, but they instinctively trotted into the dump station as if to tell me farewell and happy travels.
IMG_7989IMG_7993IMG_7997

On my way out, I stopped in Ocean City for dinner and lucked into a wonderful place called Waterman’s Seafood Company where I had a delicious, traditional Maryland dinner of Crabcakes and Hush Puppies.  Honestly the best crabcakes I’d ever had in my whole life!

It started raining as we left to drive across the Delmarva peninsula.  The long Bay Bridge that connects Delmarva to the landlocked side of Maryland near Annapolis was something I was very glad I drove across at night—it was a number of miles long, and except for the tallest portion (which was a suspension bridge with concrete guard rails), the rest of the bridge just had open metal guard rails…yikes!

We made our way through Baltimore and spent the night at a Wal-Mart in Frederick, thankfully out of much of the storm’s path.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Views!

Lynne's Camera Bag

Best RVing Stuff Under $50

Join Us On Facebook